XML is pervasive these days. Notepad++ is delightful. How to make the best of both?
Use XML Tools, the XML oriented plugin set for Notepad++. Installing it can be a bit of a pain (not too much though). Here are the quick steps:
- Download xmltools_xyz.zip from the Notepad++ Plugins page (http://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-plugins/files/)
- Close and start Notepad ++ (if you had it open) or just start it.
- Drop the dll file into the plugins directory (look where you installed Notepad++ most probably C:\Program Files\Notepad++)
- Now you should see XML Tools showup under the Plugins menu. It will however complain saying ext_libs are required. It will also provide links to download them. One option is from the author’s website, another is from sourceforge. I preferred the author’s site.
- Download libxml2-xyz.zip, zlib-xyz.zip,libxslt-xyz.zip,iconv-xyz.zip from the authors website.
- Go into the bin folder of each of these zip extracts and pickup the dll. Drop them in the root directory of Notepad++ (a level above plugins)
- You should be all set to rock!