something went wrong with my MySQL instance. Looked up help online and tried starting mySQL through command line (with a hope to find out what was wrong)
Received: System Error 5 has occurred.
A little more searching revealed that I needed to run this in a Administrator Command window. To get that going do: start>run>cmd and then hit Ctrl+Shift+enter instead of the usual ‘enter’ only.
Next got 1067 when I tried net start
More googling revealed that mysqld –console would show the dump. Later realized that it is possible to get to the same error dump by visiting the data directory specified under my.ini config file. Anyways the Dump revealed:
120623 13:02:55 [Note] Plugin ‘FEDERATED’ is disabled.
mysqld: Table ‘mysql.plugin’ doesn’t exist
120623 13:02:55 [ERROR] Can’t open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgr
ade to create it.
120623 13:02:55 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
120623 13:02:55 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use Windows interlocked functions
120623 13:02:55 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3
120623 13:02:55 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 42.0M
120623 13:02:55 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120623 13:02:55 InnoDB: Operating system error number 3 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means the system cannot find the path specified.
InnoDB: If you are installing InnoDB, remember that you must create
InnoDB: directories yourself, InnoDB does not create them.
InnoDB: File name C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\data\data2\ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: ‘create’.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
The issue was because of InnoDB, something I did not plan to use. MyISAM Engine works out better for my purpose. So my next steps were.
Use the MySQLInstanceConfig at C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin to remove the instance.
Next modify the my.ini file to mark MyISAM as the default instead of InnoDB:
Next I attempted to re-install the instance using:
mysqld –install –defaults-file=”C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\my.ini
I realized I had not uncommented the following line in my.ini:
Repeated: uninstalling the instance(mysqld –remove ), recreating the instance and running net start
NOW it WORKED. Good bye InnoDB and the issue.